A new media model for rapid growth online
Small, niche media organization
Challenge: How does a publisher translate a small but profitable niche media organization into a growth company with twenty times the amount of active members in just three years? How can a print-based publication shift to the web as its primary media source?
To tackle this challenge, Aveus developed and implemented three major phases of work over two years.
Phase 1: Imagine a bigger future
- Performed a quick and fact based assessment of the company’s business and operating model.
- Led exploration sessions with leaders and staff to develop ideas and confidence in growth. Created a first draft of the organization’s strategic intent.
Phase 2: Build out a growth plan
- Created straw models and a base financial model.
- Facilitated ideation, assignments and decision-making workshops to develop growth strategies, including:
- A new operating model
- Draft target customer experience models for each customer segment
- A shift to the web as the primary media source
- A new brand framework and identity development plan
- A product development roadmap
- An investment plan to support angel investment fundraising
- Created the business case for growth used for investor discussions.
Phase 3: Growth begins
- Supported the owner/CEO in finding funding resources and developing the relationships to raise the Series A funds needed for the plan execution.
- Based on new opportunities, Aveus and organization leadership revised the growth plan for more focus and accelerated growth.
- Finalized the target customer experience maps for the first segment to launch.
- Bolstered leadership in the build out of detailed organization, sales and product roadmaps. Developed change readiness and communication tools for staff.
- Coached CEO and COO throughout the change.
Phase 3 outcome: The company is underway with its growth plan. Initial investments to fund the growth have been raised. New media model product has been launched.
With tight alignment within the leadership team they had the energy to lead the transformation using a business plan built on the unique strengths of a profitable niche media company. This attracted additional capital allowing them to execute the growth plan.
The company is also executing changes to operational, product, marketing and distribution (print and online) to support their new strategy.
I have found what is really fabulous about working with Aveus is that Aveus helps us to figure out what it is that we want to do and then helps us to figure out how to do it within our own context. We are changing but we are remaining true to our core principles.
-Founder and CEO
Interested in learning more about growth strategies?
Contact Aveus partner, Chris LaVictoire Mahai. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.